View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 10:47 AM   #91
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
I had a great time this year, as last, although a swollen knee inhibited my riding a bit, and kept me out of it a couple of days. It's hell to get old! Friday's Noob ride to Hunter Mtn. and Teakettle was covered pretty well by Little Bike and it was good to have her along. Browneye took over the "fast" group and the rest went with me; nine riders as I recall. Here is our quick stop at Father Crowley's for a cell phone break.

Then it was up the highway to the Saline Valley Rd. turn off. Just before that, I glanced at my speedo and saw "0"! Uh Oh, something is wrong. Looking down at the front wheel I noticed my brake caliper hanging by the wires, with just one bolt barely hanging in the mounting lug but not connected to the fork. 'Pulled over carefully but by that time the bolt had bid adios. We managed to find one bolt and secured the caliper temporarily, but obviously I couldn't continue the ride with just one bolt and no front brake. We disucssed options and after giving careful descriptions of the route and major turns, the group pushed ahead while I went back to look for the other bolt, or back to camp for either another bolt or to get my WR250R. Put putted along for a while, but no luck on the bolt, so off to PSR and Lior who had a replacement bolt. Then, on the gas to try to catch up with the group. I didn't think I would be able to do that since it had taken so long to ride back to PSR. But, due to some judicious use of the throttle, I caught up with them, and Browneye's group (who dawdled at Hunter Cabin waiting on us) just past the Hunter Cabin turn off. Little Bike did a good job of covering the rest of the days ride.

Saturday we had a small group who wanted an easy ride to Cerro Gordo; Paul Callisto (Huskyfly), Rene, Piconino and Cowgirl. I decided to take the Husky Terra on this one.

As Browneye said previously, this is not a dirt bike, but it is a nice long distance adventure bike that will do some trail work if it's not too extreme. Kind of like an updated KLR, and that's how I'll use it. Cerro Gordo, Titus Canyon, and maybe a little more challening stuff is perfect but one does have to ride a bit slower.

Cowgirl and Paul

Paul and Rene

All in all, a really nice trip, and thanks so much to the organizers for all their work!

Blaise W screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 02:26 PM
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote