View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
Tapas for one?

One of the most interesting things about Spain, for people who really like food, is the tapas culture. It isn't dinner, it isn't lunch, as it often is in America. People stop at bars for a quick drink or two with friends on the way home from work, and tapas developed as a snacky thing to munch on with a glass of wine. Today many of us think nothing of making dinner out of tapas, it's my wife's favorite way to eat! So I ventured out last night in Logrono to see what I could find, and was overwhelmed with choices. I finally chose a bar that was less crowded, where my lack of Spanish might be met with less resistance. This worked out, and I had four good tapas and two small glasses of Rioja Crianza. Total bill less than 10 Euro.

But I need one one more little snack before heading in for the night. Then I saw the Angel Bar. They seem to have only one tapas, or at least only one that anyone orders. It's a towers of mushroom caps grilled in butter sauce that may contain crack cocaine it's so addictive, and topped with a salad shrimp, all skewered to a slice og baguette with a giant toothpick. For 1.20 each, they can't make them fast enough to keep up with demand.

As much as I enjoyed the food part of it, tapas seems to really be about socializing. Not speaking the language and being alone kind of puts a kink in this part of it. Too bad, it looks like lots of fun.

Photos coming later

jbar28 screwed with this post 04-05-2013 at 03:30 PM
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote