View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,240
Are you sure SFO is this way???

I just went through this Clear Creek trail with loads of water features... I can't remember if inmate SFMCJohn said "do this one" or "don't do this one"?

This would be the start of my 3rd section of the trip from Coalinga heading out Los Gatos Creek Road heading to Hollister. I leave the fleabag hotel, grab a quick breakfast at Mickie D's and hit the road. Once I ride the 5 miles up on Derrick road ( which is littered with oil wells and looks like a disgusting land raping) I catch a nice country road on Los Gatos Creek. Some 45 miles later I turn onto Clear Creek.

Entrance to Clear Creek.

Clear Creek was once a fully operational OHV park with numerous staging areas and camping facilities until the EPA closed it down in the mid 2000's. It's a huge loss for those who vacationed here with their families over the years. It's such unique and beautiful landscape.

Looking back on the trail through lower Clear Creek.

A nice turquoise lake to have a break. The phrase BF Egypt comes to mind. The dirt jeep trail takes a steep long decent... which could have been slick and treacherous had the ground not soaked up the previous day's rain. The track is made more difficult with the deep ruts.

The trail empties out into the abandoned mining ghost town of New Idria, with delapidated homesteads spread out over several blocks.
The exit route out of this god forsaken area is a nasty single wide 40 miles of broken blacktop to Panoche Road and the Hollister Valley.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-15-2013 at 12:37 AM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote