View Single Post
Old 04-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #125
ontic

Oddometer: 1,067
Quote:
Originally Posted by chollo9 View Post
*I've always wondered, looking at Rooney's set-up, how much are water crossings an issue in OZ? I thought it was purty dry there.
Australia is very diverse and big with different climates, but in many places once you get off the black stuff and sometimes even on it there is a lot of water crossings. Even in the dry places it gets wet regularly. "A land of drought and flooding rains" as the poem goes.
It doesn't look like much, but this turned our two airheads around (and actually every other vehicle from either side such as big 4x4's with snorkles)- it wasn't the depth here but the flow was just too quick and would have swept us and anything else off down into the paddock and through barbed wire fences... not fun.

That sort of causeway crossing is very common here, so are basic river rock and sand and mud bottom ones. Floods somewhere in the country are usually a yearly event. In my travels in Australia I've done many more water crossings in 4x4 drive rather than on a motorbike and a lot of these would be way too deep for a standard airhead, and these were mostly just regular water levels.

In short, in turning an airhead into a do-it-all more dirt-capable adventure bike, I think there is plenty of need for some to increase the water depth they can work at- in this country and others. Prutsers case the most obvious and photographically evidence case in point
ontic is offline   Reply With Quote