View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #244
The Walrus OP
Gone and back again.

Oddometer: 8,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt1st View Post
Great ride report that brought back a lot of memories. In 2004, five or six if us rode pretty much the same route except we started in Alamos and rode to Choi, then on to Urique, Batopilas, etc. When we left Chinipas, ordinarily you would ford the river, as the only bridge across the river was the foot bridge. During the night before we left on the last leg back to Alamos, there had been more than a little rain in the mountains upstream. The river was running fast and deep - too deep for the bikes, so we jumped up on the foot bridge and dodged the school kids walking from the other side of the river into town for school.

From the looks of your photos, the roads, food, and accommodations have improved in the last 8 years. We went in April, at the end of the wettest spring they had had in years, so some of the "roads" were pretty rough.

Thanks again for the memories.
It's great to hear that our trip is enjoyed by so many others.....we struggled to have a good time.......

With a little hindsight, I would now consider this ride as going through the backdoor to this region. With a counterclockwise, east to north then west orientation, it's a bit more interesting to me. Most folks seem to drop in through Chihuahua and hit the larger, tourista areas first. This route brings you in to the region and backwoods before you ride through those areas. It gives me a lot of appreciation for CeeBee blazing this path.....

In fact, I would really enjoy his original route of riding south through Baja, ferrying across from La Paz to Topolobampa then riding Barrancas del Cobre and leaving to the north.......Who's IN........?............
When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before. - Mae West
Experience is what keeps a man who makes the same mistake twice from admitting it the third time around.

The Walrus screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 10:16 AM
The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote