Just finished doing the back tire on my DR650. I used a wire wheel to clean the rim and especially the spot where it is welded together. Used brake cleaner just before putting on the liquid tape. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Performix-...-Tape/16888975
The liquid tape Was not as easy to use as I had hoped. It had a tendency to shrink a bit as it cured. Some of the nipples turned out really good but others had a small hole in it. I can only guess that this was from the solvent evaporating and escaping via this little hole. So I ended up putting 4 coats on to make sure all the little holes were covered. Aired up the tire and overnight it lost about 2PSI
Stuck it in the kiddie pool and all the spokes/nipples were good but......there was a small leak between the tire and rim. Going to ride it a bit and hope somehow it seals up. Just really want the ability to fix a flat in a minute without pulling a tire/tube on the side of the road. The front tire is next.