View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 08:23 PM   #111
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,230
The Other Titus Canyon Ride

It was my privilege to lead a ride this year thru Titus Canyon. I think everyone on this crew (might be wrong) was a first timer 'cept for me. We lined up at the PSR gas station with Jason (jasonfb), Dave (nwemerys), Danny (outlaws) and Matt (surferbum). We got into position and I got my front tire to the road and Jason's bike would not fire. A quick fiddle finding a crunchy connector got us going and we were off to Stovepipe for passes. At Stovepipe I discovered we noobs have a reputation of sorts. While standing in line for the bathroom, a lady noticed my attire and asked if I was part of the Rally at Panamint Springs. Of course I denied it at first, but she went on to say that her group had tried in vain to get a spot there due to our "activities". I had also met up with a group of riders up on Chloride Cliffs 2 years earlier, that said that had to move to Stovepipe because of the noobs. Go figure, we are famous (or infamous).
Back on the road making good time to Beatty, we gas up for our run to Titus and again, the KLR won't fire. More fiddling finds a fuse that is in too many pieces. Quick trip to the hardware store and we are off to Titus with a quick stop in Rhyolite.

Jason, the miner and the penguin.

Saw the ghost town, bottle house and the museum.
Off to Titus we find the road to be in pretty good condition, a little washboard, but otherwise OK. The washboard un-mounted Danny's taillight on his DRZ but that was to be the worst thing that happened to the equipment on this run. Made it to Leadfield for a quick stop.

Danny. Rode his 400 to PSR from Irvine.

Dave on his trusty GS

Jason on his mostly trusty KLR.

Matt rockin' the other GS. Matt also swept. Thanks!

Onward to Titus. The summit(?) had a group of Jeepers there and they were nice enough to snap a pic of the crew.

The crew from near to far. Danny, Dave, Jeff, Jason and Matt.

And on to Titus. There really is no perfect way to shoot or describe Titus Canyon. A remarkable place that is worth the trip. At the outlet I looked back up the road and at the mountain we rode out of. You start to see the scale of this place and the rest of Death Valley.

We rode out of Titus and collected at Scottys Castle Rd. Dave and Matt split off to return to PSR. And then there were three to see Ubehebe Crater.

Danny

Jason and me.

As we were leaving Nowwhat's group pulled up from there run to take in the sites.
We were off to see Scotty's and make the run back to PSR.

Had a bit of a break at Scotty's and got going to get dinner and catch a seat at the
Saturday night festivities. 220 miles of great sights. Thanks to each one of the crew that rode with me. You guys made a good ride great.

Thanks again to Joel, everyone that volunteered, the donors, and PSR.
It's nice to be a noob.

JAB screwed with this post 04-06-2013 at 09:21 PM
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote