View Single Post
Old 04-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #17
DesertSurfer OP
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,271
Still on the return Rally

My time was running short and I hated passing a couple interesting sections including a dirt trail through Pinnacle Peaks National Park and also Pozo/ High Mtn. Road. But promises were made to be back Sunday, April 7th for dinner.

It's 5:30pm and my plan is to camp out at Hollister Hills OHV park. Unfortunately I took the first "State Park" turnoff on San Bautista Creek Road which led me up to a 20 mile dead end at another campground adjacent to but not connected to Hollister. Turning around burned nearly an hour and by then the sun had set. I changed my plans to continue riding south to Pinnacle Peaks National Monument on the country highway 25. At this point I had not programmed my return into the GPS and I was freestyling my route. Another costly mistake was that I over shot the turnoff to Pinnacle Peaks and chose not to turn around at 9:00pm. Next stop would be King City. This section of country byway was a wonderful winding road and although enjoyable in the dark, I can imagine how much more it would be in during daylight hours.

I managed to find a Quality Inn with a reasonable rate at 10:30pm in King City with a 24 hours Denny's to satisfy my hunger. I wake up and head south on the 101 riding through the beautiful wine region leading into Paso Robles. This section of highway is nice terrain for the 950 motor, allowing me to make some time. Moving sourth 101 travels along the coast and a glimpse of wave along Pismo Beach. From there i travel inland and take Cachuma Road that travels through the Santa Inez valley wine region and Solvang.

I did seek out a nice tight single wide above Santa Barbara with another spectacular view of the Channel Islands along the Pacific. And how lucky no rain materialized today as previously forecasted.

One last long stretch of canyon slab to the house. Stay tuned for last pics and my overview of the trip. Plus more photos from my Nikon and Google Maps.

DesertSurfer screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 10:52 PM
DesertSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote