View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #43
jbar28 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 162
Complete attention?

Something I've realized on this trip that is true in most of Europe bet seems to be even more true in Spain is the attention a customer receives. In the US, if I just need to know where the bathroom is, I can often approach a customer service person, get in a quick question no matter what they are doing, and be on my way. Not so here. If the person I want to talk to is helping someone else or doing something else, like stacking plates, then they will almost never acknowledge me until they are done. This can be frustrating, obviously, if you're used to 'butting in' like we do in the US. But I've discovered the past few days that it can also be pleasing when eventually you are the one being served. I never realized how seldom we in the US have someone's complete and undivided attention. Here you will have to wait a while, but when that person comes to help you, then it's your turn and the hounds of hell could be doing their thing on the carpet, but they would have to wait until you have been served.

But enough about that. I spent last night and this morning walking around Merida. Last night looking for a restaurant that was open. Town full of places to eat, and the one I see open is selling American Hot Dogs. And it's PACKED with locals, mostly young people. I can't do it. I don't even like hot dogs, especially not when I'm in Spain. I end up at the only other place I can find open, get a suspicious calamari boqadillo, and don't end up poisoned.

Turns out the Roman art museum is closed Mondays, I didn't read far enough. But I got to some of the monuments.

Another tile advertising wall.

In the arena this morning they had signs talking about the different kinds of gladiators and what they did, who they fought.

I never knew there were assigned roles and styles of fighting, I figured it was a free-for-all to the death. But no, in fact they got paid, between three and fifteen years wages for a soldier for one fight. Of course if you lose...

then you never get to see this, the roof of the winner's exit tunnel.

Later builders took lots of material from old Roman buildings, as happened almost everywhere.

and look how they built with it! This wall was built in the 800's by the Moors. Compare the workmanship to the picture above.

Another angle of the Roman bridge, showing most of it's 750 meter length.

and they're still diggin' more stuff up!

Not many riding pictures from today and what I have will get posted tomorrow when I've had more time to go through them.
jbar28 is offline   Reply With Quote