View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 08:27 PM   #294
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
D100 Update

The 2013 D100 is now in the rear view mirror, but oh what memories! We've been getting ready for weeks & weeks, and all the hard work really paid off.

Friday morning, ready to head out;

Even though we'd spent a lot of time working on the 27 year old motor home, about a 1/4 of the way to Odessa she began running out of steam, it was all we could do to maintain 50 mph, on some hills we were down to 35 mph. We stopped in the Dalles and changed the frame mounted fuel filter (I'd changed the carb filter when that was rebuilt) and we also bought an electric fuel pump kit, just in case we got really stranded. In camp I adjusted the float level, but it wasn't until we were on the way home Sunday afternoon that we discovered it was an easily remedied electrical gltich causing the problem.

We soldiered on, and just past Umatilla Al and luke passed by;

Despite the problems, we persevered, and after about 7 hours arrived in Odessa. Kootenai Rider and his crew had saved us a choice spot, so we proceeded to set up camp;

Panoramic view of the race camp site;

Friday night sitting around the campfire, L to R are Luke, Paul, me, Don and Al. We were only missing Paul Sr. and Lady Bug, otherwise we would have had the full OSR traveling team from the 2012 MK1;

Ready to head out on the Iron Man Poker Run;

Jan told Al to move in a little closer;

After the poker run, one loop was plenty for the Super Seniors and the vintage CB500/550/650 rider;

Al stripped his counter shaft sprocket on the poker run, luckily a new sprocket was found on vendor row;

Poker run debrief and lunch, Jan kept us well fed all weekend;

Luke's frankenbike received new tires and a gearing change after the poker run, it turned out to be a great decision;

Some people! All kidding aside, when there is work to be done, especially tire changing, there isn't anyone I'd rather have around than Al!

Pre-race scramble on Sunday morning;

Pre-race pep talk by Al;

RT & Kootenai Rider;

Don Housely & RT;

Race is over and a very happy rider, last year was pretty tough, I finished but was injured and pretty beat down, this year went great for all of us;

Luke rolling in just a few minutes after I arrived, he put in a heroic ride on the four cylinder beast, I thought of him often while negotiating rock gardens and boulders, wondering how he would get through it all. No worries he came through with flying colors!

Great effort Luke!

Don Housley was the star of the show, I don't know his final placing yet, but he turns 60 in only three weeks and rides like he's 20! Awesome job Don!

We had a fantastic time and can't wait to get back to Odessa in 2014.