View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #91
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,301
Thailand/Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam/Malaysia/Nepal/Pakistan/India/Indonesia. I've ridden all over those places and lived (and rode) in the latter two. So here I am - I am going to lecture the OP AKA "you". I understand when you have to be "smart" and do something that looks aggressive but in reality its just positioning yourself but that was a class A jackass move between those two trucks. Yep waiting for the gap to lengthen would have made it far less potentially fatal. (and in this case you'd have been in the other lane avoiding the oil while waiting for the gap) You're so lucky you didn't decapitate yourself on some rusty road sign, or were run over by the truck or something else horrific. I only looked at the pot-hole & trucks video from the compilation, was that you too? Whoever it was that also was Jackass and pointless riding. Basically in SE Asia 40-80 kph is about all you should do - sure, speed up to get a clear area, but still, it's not about threading the gap all the time and racing ahead. Besides, there aren't any medivac helicopters in Cambodia, etc. And in some of those places when (if) you get to the hospital you'll be even more afraid. Simply put; its not worth it to ride like that. Isn't one supposed to be visiting another country and culture? I always felt that 60 - 200 km's a day is plenty. What's the rush? By the way, if you ride like that in Malaysia you'll likely be pulled over and ticketed. They'll certainly tick the Jackass box and fine you big time.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote