View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #334
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFaller View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on an '08 550 with 2,000 miles, what are the known problems with these? any issues? thoughts?

I was going to buy a brand new ktm500exc, but for the price of the Berg I can really trick it out without the wife killing me!
The '06 - '08 models were very well sorted from the factory. Normal maintenance (oil and filters, valve checks) are required, but not much else unless used very hard.

I would guess that 2000 miles equals about 100 hours, plus or minus. If you know how many "clicks" are left on the timing chain adjuster, you'll have a better idea of overall condition and how it was ridden (should have at least 6 clicks left, imo) and when that might need to be changed.

The "weep hole" (underside of the water pump) is notorious for leaking oil. Not really a big deal...just a small mess, and it isn't hard to address if you want to. However, if it starts leaking coolant and/or the oil looks milkly, then the weep hole vent is a must fix.

Look at the oil before riding it. If the engine is cold and the oil has been sitting, it should not look milky when inspected through the sight glass. Then just look on the case under the waterpump after riding it and getting it a bit warm. If you see a bit of oil or no oil, then you're good.

After that, ride it hard and take chances. Those motors love to rev!
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote