View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #49
eustachius OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
I went to Dushanbe where I got myself some fresh dollars from the Orienbank. The ATMs in town would refuse my Mastercard. Stayed two nights at the Hotel Vakhsh, 25$/night. Transalp safely parked behind the hotel. During the night powerful cars racing up and down the main avenue, leisure activity of the classe aisée. The police were watching.
I was ready for the mountains and went north-east on a newly paved road for 20 kilometres, then broken asphalt and potholes - as usual. After 140 kms I turned right onto the M41 and the road and the surrounding landscape became spectacular. I spent a night in Tavildara and two nights in Kalaikhum, which is situated on the Pyanj River (I'm not sure about the spelling), the border to Afghanistan. From there I carried on to Khorog, always on the M41. You can't get lost on this route. From Khorog I was headed for Ishkahim and Layangar, along the Vakhan Valley, the spectacular peaks of the Hindu Kush to the south.
North of the Kargush Pass I hit the Pamir Highway again.
I hope my pictures will show some of the beauty of this region. It was one of the highlights of my trip.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I met a lot of friendly people along this road. Across Pyanj river, Afghanistan, people on mules and sometimes mopeds.

[IMG][/IMG]

Looking south towards the Hindu Kush.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

It's hard and rocky 'piste', but not difficult when dry.

[IMG][/IMG]

Before the Kargush Pass.

[IMG][/IMG]

On the Pamir Highway again.

[IMG][/IMG]

I got some fuel here before I continued on to Murgab. The Transalp never showed any signs that it couldn't deal with the low octane.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This was my B&B in Murgab. Basic, but great hospitality.

[IMG][/IMG]

You guess it!

[IMG][/IMG]

The bazaar of Murgab.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

On the way to the Akbaytal Pass. Together, with my tools and his dexterity we fixed the problem. His chain had got too long. We took out one link.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This was the highest I would get on the trip. Quite a moment. I had a Snickers to celebrate.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I can't get enough of those fast tracks. It's like a drug.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Along the Chinese border fence.

[IMG][/IMG]

Karakul Lake. I decided to stay at a homestay. It was cold, but sunny and dry.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

The owner of the homestay. His wife cooked me a nice meal - Chinese noodles and yaak, and eggs and plenty of green tea.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Border to Kyrgyztan.

[IMG][/IMG]

A common picture of ride reports of the area.

eustachius screwed with this post 04-09-2013 at 01:16 PM
eustachius is offline   Reply With Quote