View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #93
dwj - Donnie OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,203
In case some of y'all don't know what the Darrien straight is, it is the strip of land about 90 miles wide between panama and Columbia. It is extremely difficult terrain that has been dominated first by Columbian Drug Lords and later and to this day by anti-government groups. The anti government groups and the Columbian government have been in Peace talks recently, but I have no idea about the out come.

I saw a documentary a couple years ago where a group of five to seven people crossed the Darrien Straight with a Jeep of some sort. It took 365 days! The jeep had to be literally winched up and down the mountains. Of course there is the danger factor. The anti government groups like to kidnap people and hold them for ransom.

This is the end of the road! Well actually I have read there are a few dirt roads on the other side, but they don't want you there!

Because of the Darrien Straight, it is necessary to either fly your moto from Panama City to Columbia or use a sailboat, either way cost about $1,200 and that is one way!
dwj - Donnie is offline   Reply With Quote