View Single Post
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #41
2on2off OP
Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer: 1,229
East/West, West/East

Quote:
Originally Posted by renogeorge View Post
Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. As noted, you would not have made it over the Toiyabes from Ophir/Murphys to the Yomba. I was through there in October, going west to east. The east slope (Ophir side) is pretty gnarly even on lighter unloaded dirt bikes. I would hesitate to take a group over from east to west. Better going west to east.

You might want to go farther north up Smoky Valley and go west through Kingston Canyon and over. New Berlin is well worth a visit for the mill and other ruins. Ione is quaint. Icsyasaur (Sp) is worth a vist.

Caliente area is good too. Delamar, Pioche....

FWIW
Glad to get this information because I am planning another trip and knowing that West to East is easier is very helpful. On my first time through Ophir Pass at 10,000 ft, I prefer to run it the easier way to make sure we all make it.

On our next trip, Jim and Rich will be bringing their R100GS BMW Airheads so it will be interesting how they do if we wind up on some difficult sections. I'm staying with my KTM 500 because it will go anywhere and is easy to pick up when I screw up

If you have any pics of Ophir pass and some of the difficult sections, that would be great.