Thread: Brazil thread
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 12:36 AM   #494
mirantesMT
Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrzGSAdv View Post
I decided to take the whole Estrada Real (Royal Road) using the original tracks (amazingly downloadable from the web!)... Paraty - Ouro Preto and then Diamantina.

Few questions:

1-Is it doable alone? Anyone around here did it?

2-Do I need to change from GS's standard road tires into off-roads? I guess there is off-road involved but nothing hardcore, just hard dust, right?

3-How much time (how long of a vacation) would you take to do it properly? I am not into much sightseeing other than nice views and some pictures, so I will skip most of the historical churches, etc... and I like to ride 5-7 hours a day...

BTW plan is to go alone on lack of company for the challenge... should anyone want in, do let me know. Plan is to do it 2nd half of August.

Ride on!
Hi,

Check out out my ride report on one of my estrada real trips. (Part 1 and part 2). we did it in 9 days,

The Estrada Real is a great trip to do... The whole thing (Paraty - Diamantina and back south to Rio de Janeiro) would be around 2000 km and is doable alone. August is a perfect time in terms of weather. It should be dry most of the time.
The original roads are mostly hard dirt indeed (few soft patches here and there so stay alert.
Unfortunately, they are putting asphalt on many of the dirt roads, and I think that in couple of years from now there might be few dirt roads left...

Here's another trip I did in the south (10 days, including the serra do rio do rastro, morretes, Floripa and more)

Let me know if you have questions.

When you get to Rio de Janeiro, give me a shout.

Cheers

mirantesMT screwed with this post 04-10-2013 at 12:50 AM Reason: add extra info...
mirantesMT is offline   Reply With Quote