View Single Post
Old 04-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #4
what car??
down the road

Oddometer: 354
tardis when you say misfire, are you meaning a backfire through the exhaust? Does it seem perhaps more like a fuel starved issue than ignition? Were the coils checked out with an oscilloscope or other graphing meter? What about on the injectors? Perhaps the dealer doesn't have those kinds of tools at their disposal. What was the fuel output by the dealer? They've only had it happen once?

I have been experiencing something kind of like that, though my cans aren't super hot and the temp gauge seems about where it should be. Thought the fuel pump seems a bit hotter than I think it should be. But that doesn't explain any kind of backfiring through the exhaust (at least that's where I'm experiencing some kind of backfire, not extreme, but there none the less).

I keep thinking perhaps fuel starved, on a recent ride when it died I pulled the pump and tried to clean the sock as much as I could, couldn't access the main filter (no adequate tools). Still happened a bit later, running rough, choking, and wanting to die (did die momentarily a couple of times). The next day on the way back home from the Mexican border it started up again. Again I let it cool down; it happened a couple of different times. Once the temperature cooled down to around 60F and rain came in, it ran fine until the temp started to rise again.

The other day I reversed the polarity on the pump to try and purge the filters and test rode it. Took a little while, but again similar situation, but not as extreme as before. I also was down on fuel. I finally had a chance to refill and didn't happen the remainder of the short ride back home.

I wonder if it's something similar to what you're experiencing and not running lean, but pump is running hot and kind of vapor locking? Or filter issues? Guate city dealership does not have filters or pump in stock to find out if that's the cure.

Any thoughts from the orange gurus??
what car?? is offline   Reply With Quote