View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 AM   #438
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 999
Mar 24 Catamarca

Left Tafi and was immediately treated to a great bunch of twisties and switchbacks all the way down to the valley floor. A lot of fun. Not many pics as too many trees. Looks like they gave up cutting into the mountainside in a lot of places and just built cantilevered bridges hanging on the mountainside to accommodate the road.

Had an idea to do a couple of back roads on the way to Catamarca since this will be my last day of riding something other than flatland.

Went up one road to that would eventually connect to a route that looked interesting. It quickly turned to dirt which was ok but I could see it was going to go over some fairly substantial snow covered mountains before coming to the route I wanted. Iím thinking Iím not in the mood for a bunch of mud filled switchbacks and thought there might be a more direct connector further south. In this picture, it looks like two layers of clouds but the top layer are actually snow covered mountains which I was heading for.

So, went back down the highway and just headed out on one of the side roads which after 20 km of ok dirt, connected with the good dirt road I wanted. Was nice and peaceful out there.

Got into Catamarca Ė kind of a quiet town but, I guess it is Sunday.

Big demonstration in the Plaza.

Pretty peaceful except when I was eating dinner when all of a sudden there was a lot of noise and lots of people running around. A bunch of fully geared up riot police appeared with police cars madly dashing in all directions. A few minutes later it was quiet again. Must have been the shortest riot on record. No pics of the melee though
RexBuck is offline   Reply With Quote