View Single Post
Old 04-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,405
I realize this is a thread intended to slam the CA DMV, but in the 25 years I've lived in California I haven't had a single bad experience at the DMV. In fact, the first time I went to the Pleasanton DMV, I asked if they had one of those "how am I doing" forms so that I could praise the DMV worker who was both friendly and efficient. A significant change from the DMV in the state I had recently left. Apparently it was fairly rare for someone to say something good about the DMV, though.

I never bothered making appointments because they were always at least two weeks out. I've shown up a few times near noon and had to wait 30-45 minutes, but usually I showed up right when they opened and was out of there in 20 minutes. People get there early and wait outside the door, but once the door opens they sort everybody out into groups depending on whether they are there for a driver license issue or registration, and the registration line is usually short enough early in the day.

I think the only thing I've found to be a bit annoying is the time it takes to pick up a vanity plate. You ought to be able to walk in with the old plate, have them print the new registration, give you the special plate, and be out of there in two minutes, but you still have to wait in the same line as everyone else, so it takes 20 minutes (or more). And I'm not waiting two weeks for an appointment for my special plate - I want it now!

I haven't tried out the Folsom DMV yet.