View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
CrazyD2.0 OP
We Havin Fun Yet?

Oddometer: 234
Ok, moment of truth. Got all the basic stuff done, just a temporary securing of wires, exhaust, etc.

Slightly raining outside, kinda chilly, but whatever. Multiply the following pic by about 100, to get an idea of how long it took to get the bike to fire up...good thing I went to cycle-fit class this morning - got my legs conditioned to pumping a lever...

Hooray - it fires! Had to maintain some throttle to keep the engine running, obviously there's some carb issues to deal with. Our neighbour, Tim, came out - he's been playing with dirtbikes forever, gave me some assist.

I've got an oil leak from the clutch actuator cover - will have to drain some of the oil and apply some sealant to the gasket to fix this...

Quite the process. Fuel all over the engine, dripping out of the float bowl... took the carb off, removed the bowl and during discussion with neighbour discovered one the floats cracked, then came apart. Its been exposed for 10 years, after having been used since 1980, so figured its probably brittle and needed replacing anyway. Going to replace the little float needle as well. I noticed when I had the carb apart the first time, the jet needle was slightly bent - I tried to straighten it but still has a bit of curve to it - figure may as well replace that too.

CrazyD2.0 is offline   Reply With Quote