View Single Post
Old 04-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
81cr450 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
The PSI pipe I got is new old stock. The guy had a few when I got mine.

On to a place to put my :

The seat has been some work. Mating it to a non stock tank & the sukiest seat cover ever. The seat cover has been the biggest problem on multiple levels. Its the worst fitting one I've ever replaced, even with using new undamaged foam.

The other problem was the color didnt match the 90s rmx color at all. Its like neon lime yellow & the older plastics are a orangish yellow & it just clashed . I could have gotten a black one instead which I would recommend , but the easy way isnt my way.

Plastic for early 90's rm's is hard to find let alone multiple colors & I wanted the newer yellow to match the seat. I could have gotten the the factory fit tank in black but no black shrouds. So I tried to get a natural colored 6.6 yamaha, the only color they still make is blue. Which just left me randomly hunting for a large tank with shrouds. I lucked out & picked up a new lc4 tank for $80 on ebay.

Mounting it was pretty slick. I had to cut off the original seat catch, represented by the cardboard in the pic, then weld in a new tank hold down there.

The next step was the inner front mount, it's kind of an aluminum handle, with a rubber hose over to keep from wearing on the tank. Bolts right into the factory tank mounts

These tank ears just slip right on

For the rear mount I turned down a piece of derilin on the lathe. Figured it would wear decent against the tank.

Feels snug no slop when mounted. I still nee to attach to the radiators, but they have some nice loops that will make it easy enough.

To hook the seat to the frame / tank area I used an old cutting board of my Wife's cause it seemed like it wouldnt hurt the tank at all. It worked out to where the airbox now draws air from the front of the seat. You can see where the derelin bushing goes under the silver washer.

The middle layer hooks the seat to prevent side to side movement but also alows for an air chanel

I also used an old milk jug to create a dust shield from the rear. I'd of liked it to seal up closer to the vents but you gotta be able to take the seat on & off

81cr450 screwed with this post 04-14-2013 at 12:21 PM
81cr450 is offline   Reply With Quote