View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #154
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S View Post
This beans test got me thinking.

When I bought them I measured my Magadan bags l x w x h as you would a rigid box and got 24L, similar to my calcs on Siskiyous (see earlier).

But the other day I managed to fill one with no less than 40 litres of water in the waterproof liner, roll it all up and clip the bag shut.

So I've learned something new: a cube is different but the dimensions of a flexible suitcase-shaped box (aka: soft moto pannier) cannot be compared with a rigid box of the same size.
That is something to think about if comparing hard vs soft volumes by dimensions alone.

There's more here.
Nice experiment!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlafofOregon View Post
Nice! Have you revised your comparison chart to reflect volume as measured with water in all bags? Have had the opportunity to ride with all of the bags in your comparison?
This would be most excellent to know - and timely - as I'm on the fence right now in regards to soft luggage. It's like it's going to be either the GL Siskiyous, Magadans, or WM Rocky Mountains for my 650X. I already have the rack.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson