View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #44
gravityisnotmyfriend OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,144
The project appears to be never ending! After I got back from my last ride, I noticed my low beams weren't working. So, I checked my high beams and they did. So, I got a new bulb and installed it. Just went for a ride a few minutes ago and when I got back, my low beam was burned out again. So, I put it on my high beam again and it worked. On a hunch, I blipped the throttle. The high beam went bright white very briefly and blew out. That's when I noticed that all of the indicator lights- the ones that I had a bitch of a time sourcing - were also burned out.

Well, fuck. That's a high cost - usage ratio. So in addition to replacing all the brand new bulbs I just replaced, I'm also looking at replacing the voltage regulator and/or the capacitor. The service manual indicates that the voltage regulator won't work without the capacitor working. I'm not sure how that's possible as I though that the capacitor worked to just filter out spikes in the voltage. Regardless, I'm going to check it.

I've done a bit of searching, but have only found threads asking how big of lights they can put on these bikes. Anyone know what the VAC and Amps the alternator puts out? I've got a spare regulator/rectifier that will regulate 100 volts AC and 100 amps down to 12 VDC - well it actually stops it at around 13.8-14.1VDC, but as long as the alternator output isn't too high, I should be able to use it. It's a modern solid state unit, I'm not sure if it's any better than what was available in '94 or not - but the original regulator is no longer available from KTM.

gravityisnotmyfriend screwed with this post 04-16-2013 at 05:36 PM
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote