Thread: The Way South
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 07:00 AM   #145
rockymountainoyster OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
4/16/13 - Mexico 15 - Acaponeta to Mazatlan Playas

This was a good easy ride of a little over 100 miles. The cuota and libre pretty much parallel each other and the traffic is light on the libre so you can make pretty good time. As in so many places in Mexico they are doing road improvements so the libre will be as good as the quota in the parts that they are working on. I chose to take the cuota for the last part of the route so I wouldn't have to go through Esquinapa... just wanted to save time and get to the hotel I had reserved. The hotel, Playa Mazatlan, was recommended by Skip Mascorro of MotoDiscovery and is really first rate. I chose an Ocean Front room at $107/night, the most I have spent in Mexico, and it is worth every penny. The room is huge, the bed is comfortable, there is filtered water from a tap (I used the SteriPen anyway, better safe than sorry), the restaurant is good and if you book the room on line you get a credit voucher for $14/US which brings the room cost down to $93. While it is good and possible to be frugal here in Mexico (my dinner of birria and a beer in Acaponeta was delicious and cost $45 pesos around $3.75US) It is nice to splurge once in awhile on food and lodging. There are some great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta and the prices reflect the quality.

Today on to the ferry around 1PM for a 4PM departure and 10AM arrival in La Paz. It will be great to see the sun setting over the Sea of Cortez... at some point during the voyage we will cross the Tropic of Cancer. Mazatlan is just South of it La Paz is North. The ferry is not cheap. For me, the bike and a standard room (recommended by many folks) it is $2733. MP or around $226. US. I am really doing it for the experience of an overnight sea voyage at the mouth of the Sea of Cortez. I am looking forward to it... the expected delays and hassles and all!