View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 11:20 PM   #16
kaptinkaos OP
Just some nOOb

Oddometer: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdiver View Post
I alos moved from a F650 dakar to the 990.

My .02.

- I have the stock bashplate and have never had an issue and my bike has taken a beating.

-knobby front tire vs the trailwinds.

- I ride in the deep sand (baja) some and I wish I had a steering dampener. My bike loaded in the deep sand will saw back in forth wildly.

- I did upgrade the headlight to the euro housing and the 50w HID's. Well worth it but you may have more options than I did in 2008/9.

- I think you will find the front suspension too soft. Need bigger springs and re-valving or you will be hitting bottom all of the time. Offroad.

- get the higher front fender if you ride much mud at all. It looks better too (to me).

- do the CJ oil change hose mod soon.

I imagine that is a trip or two you will know better what you want/need.

Figure by 20K miles you will have to do the fuel pump, the water pump, sprockets and chain. Other than that it is all good.

DD
Hey man! Finally, someone else who pulled the trigger and got out of the mid-pack big bikes, It's only a small step as far as weight goes, but man... the power and usefulness that comes with it is immense! I am happy I made the leap and am gagging to get home and ride this thing hard!

The bashplate is gonna be swapped for sure as I piled up my Dakar one in the first week I had it. I didn't cave the case, but was close. I'd rather not take the chances with the LC8 so I'll armor the underside. This pic is a good example of how I treat my bikes when I'm riding,

I'll probably not do too much loaded sand riding, but if the future plans change I'll be looking at a dampener again. Most of the off road I do is tight tracks, rocky terrain, high altitude mountain riding with a smattering of high speed gravel roads to and from home.

So far the stock lights seem to be enough for me, but that Baja Designs 4 LED light bar might work it's way onto the bike if I need more. Another future what-if, lol!

I guess I should start looking into fork threads and spring choices for the 990... I ended up doing the same with the Dakar and with the extra heftiness of the 990 it shouldn't surprise me that I will need more spring.

White high front fender is on the "to order" list.

This oil change hose mod? http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...tank-hose-kit/

Really? 20K and replace fuel/water pumps? Sprockets I can see cause I beat them up and I'll be surprised if I get 20K out of this first set myself... Never changed either the water pump or fuel pump on the Dakar... Time to get reading again!

I take it this would be a suitable water pump rebuild kit? http://www.cjdesignsllc.com/products...-cover-gasket/

Thanks a TON for your input man!

Joe
'07 F650GS Dakar (Gone to a good home!)
kaptinkaos is offline   Reply With Quote