View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #124
Gliga OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I believe you have been waiting long enough for an update. Oh, and pictures on photobucket are back online

Day one, September 1st

Once again this is just a tarmac ride, to get me close to the start of "real" trip. Road between Novi Sad (my home city) and Belgrade (Serbian capital) is mostly straight and utterly boring. Flat farmland can do that to a road, you know...

As soon as I pass Belgrade road becomes interesting, that is where gentle rolling hills begin. Since I had plenty of time I made a short detour around Avala mountain. Nice, narrow and twisty road. Perfect way to forget monotony of riding trough plains.

First rest stop is in Topola town where Oplenac monastery is located. Monastery is situated in a large, nicely maintained park. Good place to stretch after a ride. Autumn is on it's way and signs are everywhere. These are last bits of summer.

Destination for today is town of Kragujevac. It's a relaxing ride there. Good tarmac going over gentle rolling hills, not to much traffic... Plan is to camp at a lake in Sumarice park. As I approach the lake I pass by a restaurant, wedding preparations are in progress which means: camp as far away from there as possible :) I find good location for a camp but since it's to early to settle for the night I decide to go back to town, get something to eat and refuel the bike. In planning stages I completely overlooked the fact that Sumarice area is actually very large memorial center to WWII Natzi regime victims. Monuments are everywhere. It's disturbing to come across something like this... This is location where German occupational forces, on October 21st 1941, shot more than 2300 local people, including 300 boys from elementary and high schools, in retaliation to attack on their forces... Sad and powerful reminder how people can be made to do terrible things...

Shoot, I'm teaching the class even now

GPX file

Gliga screwed with this post 04-26-2014 at 10:38 AM
Gliga is offline   Reply With Quote