View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
tburick OP
BLESSED

Oddometer: 16
Thanks for the compliments men.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on the cosmetics. I place each scooter under a microscope and study the lines and design of the bike. I then use this as a basis for the design of the trailer.

For the Ruckus trailer, I was after a military-like, component-assembled feel. The Ruckus is a tough little bike...bare-bones with a rugged look. I wanted the trailer to reflect that. Also, I always strive for an "OEM" feel. I know I've done my job when someone thinks I bought the trailer from the respective manufacturer. I've had several people say that they thought I bought the trailer with the bike at the Honda dealer.

For the Vespa trailer, I was after a post-war exuberance, over-the-top, kitschy feel. Some of the design in the 50's was pretty outrageous. I love mid-century design and really enjoyed creating the Vespa trailer. My own brother thought I bought this trailer from the Vespa dealer. Awesome. I did my job.

As for the Metropolitan trailer, I did it in "dieselpunk" style. (www.dieselpunk.org) The aesthetic covers the end of WWI to the end of WWII. The look is generally somber...reflecting the war time atmosphere, rationing, and hard economic times.
I studied a lot of American and German military hardware, and took particular inspiration from the VW Beetle of the early 1940's.

The Metropolitan played perfectly to this style. In black, it is a rather somber, utilitarian-looking vehicle. It reminds me of the first generation post-war Vespas. The Metropolitan really had that "scooter for the people" feel...

AS A SIDE NOTE: I LOVE 1950's design and the exuberant attitude of the era. I am FIGHTING the urge to take the Metropolitan and the trailer and barf chrome and white wall tires all over both...lol. I really, really like the somber utilitarian look of the bike and trailer as they are but the seduction of chrome and white walls may prove to be a temptation to strong to resist

Dude: Are you for real? You call me. You've got a lot of explaining to do to convince me that you are a NUT on a 50cc mission from God.
tburick is offline   Reply With Quote