View Single Post
Old 04-18-2013, 06:30 PM   #3
conchscooter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Brunswick

My nephew graduated the Federal law Enforcement Academy this spring and I ended up paying a couple of visits, so lacking any other replies I can give you superficial impressions.

Brunswick is the old town, classic grid pattern streets with lots of live oaks and shabby neighborhoods with nicer neighborhoods mixed in, at random to a visiotrs eye. the center of the city has classic Southern public architecture:

And less classic public architecture:

There is a small core of downtown shops struggling agains the suburban mall phenomenon and though the no see ums gave me no peace some repellent gave me room to walk and enjoy the downtown.

The insects muct breed like crazy in the surrounding marshes.

Brunswick used to have a major naval port and when it was shuit down in the 1970s they opened the law Enforcement Training center by way of comepensation. So this is an economy that never quite recovered from the cuts in Federal monies in the area (the hallowed private sector has failed once again to take up the slack).

Across the marshes lies the rather peculiar gated community of St Simons
which has been developed as a golfing resort for people who don't mind vacationing in a rather artificial if pretty environment. It's a classic winter snowbird and summer vacation creation. But there is history and stuff to see everywhere.

Nearby there is Jekyll Island a state park purchased by the state from a distressed private estate and turned into a park for all. Oddly at odds with modern policy which eschews the public good in any form.

The whole complex of what they call Georgia's Golden Isles is a mixture of creeks, marshes, woods and flat land everywhere. It's about six hours to the Appalachian Mountains for excellent riding. But its not far to Savannah and Charleston or even Atlanta. I think the whole place is quite liveable depending on the quality of the job. Georgia also has the cheapest gas in the southeast!

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote