View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Don T OP
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 454
Day 6:
Meknes (Morocco) – Ait-Ourir (Morocco) – 450km.

When the bikes were loaded and breakfast was out of the way the first stop for the day was a gas station around the corner as my V-Strom also needed some food. The last time I had refueled was in Spain 445 kilometers earlier and I was just able to squeeze 16 liters into the tank resulting in an average of close to 29 km/l – the bike was only sipping.

With that out of the way we headed south in the direction of Marrakech taking the inland route via Azrou. The next +200 kilometers was beautiful winding roads on the western outskirts of the Mid Atlas.

At one point Jim and I managed to get separated (?). I thought that I was in front and pulled over to wait for him just after exiting a busy town with a few roundabouts.

Waiting for jbar in the shade.

Morocco had begun to put its imprint on my bike.

5 minutes later when he hadn’t turned up I send him a text message saying where I was and that I would head on and check my phone for messages later. The next time I stopped there was a message from him saying that he had past me without knowing and had stopped to 1 kilometer up the road from where I was now – shortly after we was riding together again.

Halfway to Marrakech we took a break for lunch – there are good roadside restaurants everywhere.

The roads the second half of the day was not nearly as interesting as the ones we had been riding until then and the weather was getting really hot with temperatures close to 40 degrees. Together that made most of the afternoon to something endured rather than enjoyed. During the afternoon we stopped to refuel again and this time my bike had done +30 km/l.

50 kilometers before Marrakech we turn of the main road heading south for the small town of Ait-Ourir where we had hotel rooms waiting for us.

It turned out to be a charming little place. There was a closed yard where we could park the bikes and a swimming pool just outside our rooms.

After a much needed dip in the pool the rest of the evening was spent eating local food, drinking cold beer and just kicking back.

Tomorrow we’ll head east across the Atlas Mountains…

Don T screwed with this post 04-29-2013 at 06:28 AM
Don T is offline   Reply With Quote