Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #2088
chavo_dakar_bolivia
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Thumb Dakar 2014 Bolivia stages

Quote:
Originally Posted by too old View Post
Ha ha - maybe, but there are a few real considerations -

Chavo can tell us whether these salt flats will be dry or wet in January - quite different conditions?

If dry and considering some of the bikes can do 175 kmph and others only 160 there could be some big times pulled - but if it is marathon day(s) then who is going to push the bike, that is unless they need the minutes ? - could be a classic couple of days
I've been told that the Salar is flooded with water in January, Neil (bluebull) can probably confirm this too. So I dont foresee no land speed records being broke in Dakar ....
The government is very enthusiastic about Dakar (it helps the President is very much into soccer himself and likes motorsports)
They made this good footage showing the region where Dakar will pass by(but of course with no idea on the bikes/riders shown) but it shows they are being proactive about it:
http://youtu.be/Z00yq6a2GSs

I think this might be one of the best marathon camps ever with EXCELLENT treatment to riders, unlike Argentina stage this year where we froze are asses of at night with no blankets/sleeping bags.

Hope to see some of you down there with me!