View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 02:46 AM   #196
Mark_S OP
Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer: 1,705
I'm back and I now have 2 black 09 klrs nestling under the carport

Got to auckland via a cheap flight from Paraparaumu - arrived at 8am Sat and the existing owner kindly picked me up and after the deal was done lead me to the highway (otherwise I'd still be roaming around lost in satanic suburbia).

Auckalnd is a shithole

I came down from Auckland via Clevedon - down the east coast road then across and down to Whangamata and Waihi then accidentally across to Paeroa and down to Te Aroha (looked for Mark) then down the neat Te Aroha-Gordon Rd (gale force side winds - yuck) then down to Rotorua (missing out on a cuppa with Clint and Rosie cause I was late) and down to Taupo where I stayed in an overpriced dog of a motel.

Awoke this morning to torrential rain and it stayed that way all the way to Napier (tip: don't open your visor when trying to pass a truck in pissing rain - your glasses instantly get covered in water and when you close the visor again in desperation everything instantly fogs up - and you're still only halfway past the frigging truck...)

Rain stopped for a while in Hastings and I tootled down to Waipawa via Middle Road - awesome road but lots of wet leaves on the corners)

Late lunch at Waipukurau then out in the rain to Porangahau - Pongaroa (lots of loose stock - sheep and I can vouch for new brakes being better than old klr brakes....) on Pahiatua then over the track and home via Shannon.

Arrived home very soggy about 6pm - 1000k test ride.

Had a great ride and bike was exactly what I expected

filled up at Hastings - 360km later I still haven't hit reserve
brakes are better at both ends
engine runs out of puff compared to old one but I can fix that (and hopefully not kill the fuel economy like I did on the old one....)
front tire is original and now has over 9000k and still has reasonable tread - and didn't slip once on the way down (90% of trip was on wet roads) - very impressive. Half worn T63 rear did surprisingly well in the wet as well.

now to plan the big farkleswapectomy