View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #42
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 416
Gibraltar

Fast forward 3 months.

I had been in contact with Hana who had brought the bike to a BMW dealership for repair. They should especially check on the water pump, as we suspected it to be the real origin or all the problems. With both her and me traveling a lot, communication was a bit difficult, and then she told me they had fixed it without need to open up the pump. Hym, not sure if I liked that, but there was nothing we could do about it.

Coming back from another business trip I had exactly one day to pack my stuff. I was pretty confident to have everything when the taxi showed up the next morning. Later, while waiting at the gate, I noticed that I was still wearing the shoes I had put on to bring out the garbage in the morning. No boots.

The flight included a stop in Palma de Mallorca, meaning the plane was full of families going on vacation. Now Palma is known in Germany and the UK for parties etc., so just think about 'white trash' to get an idea on the passenger list. I haven't heard people clapping at touchdown for years ...

I was welcomed by Hana, packed my bike and headed south to find some boots. According to the forecast there was rain in my future and I really didn't wanted to ride through rain with nothing but trashbags on my feet. I found a bike shop in La Linea, literally at the foot of Gibraltar and bought a pair of afforable touring boots.

Cars were queueing up for hundreds of meters at the Gibraltar border, with little progress. I had been there some years ago, so I skipped on that. Here's a photo from 2007. Did you know that there's about 30,000 Englishmen sitting on the rock protecting it? It's full of monkeys.

I spent a night in a small hotel and chatted about bikes with the waiter who also proposed some nice roads in the area. With a running bike and new boots I was ready to roll and bring the bike home to Germany.