View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:04 AM   #16
deltamed OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by redviffer View Post
I bought mine with the BMW panniers made by touratech. Within a few outings off road in some rough stuff the frames and panniers were buckled. I bashed and bent them back in to shape with a rubber mallet but they never quite attached to the frames properly after that nor did they stay sealed and watertight. I replaced them with Touratech Zega panniers and exactly the same thing happened. I went for Hepco and Becker Gobi panniers after that as I didn't trust aluminium. The Gobi's were well made, looked bullet proof and I'm sure would take a beating off road but they were heavy, quite wide and looked like they held less than they were supposed to. I sold them and replaced them with Metal Mule panniers. So far they look much tougher than anything made of metal that I have seen so far. I haven't had a decent off on them but I trust they will be ok. If I ever go for crazy off road stuff again I will use the racks but equip them with Wolfman soft luggage just in case.

Here is a pic of them on a recent trip, scroll to the bottom:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...37723&page=231
Great post... I appreciate the feedback. Being an ex-motocross guy, there is a good chance I will be tough on these... Although I'm quite a bit older and supposedly wiser now....
deltamed is offline   Reply With Quote