View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #4622
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
SM,
I hear ya, that's what I've gathered also, it's a collective "we're not sure". Probably the best "hard info" came from pix Pete Roper posted up from his Norge being opened up at Rider's Hill.

I just thought maybe there was a way to push past the "we're not sure" with more recent info. I put the question out there again as some riders like yourself are coming up on service intervals.

This is the info I believe you are referring to, it was posted on WG. It's the best reference info I've found so far,

"after engine number AC12596 03/12/2012 they should have rollers"

I will give Elk Grove a call. I also plan to call Rider's Hill and AF1.

My local dealer told me the 2012 they have does not have them and is working with the regional rep to locate a burnt orange 2013 model with a build date after what I posted.

At this point the best I can do is buy a 2013 which is my plan. I'm hoping to put one of these fine bikes in my garage very shortly.
But here's where the confusion comes in. My bike was bought new in July of '12 and came from a 3-bike shipment from Guzzi not long before I bought it (maybe 1 month....let's call it June). My engine number is AC012408. So....while my bike doesn't have a "build date" anywhere that I can find, receipt in July seems it would likely have been built after the 3/12/12 date, yet my engine number is lower than expected. Again, I'll know shortly what mine has, but I think this is part of what adds to the confusion (or maybe it's just my confusion ).

I'm NOT a gearhead, so honestly the presence (or not) of roller tappets makes no difference to me, especially given the general reliability (and longevity) of Guzzi engines, but if it's important to you, I agree with someone else who said the best way to know for sure is to ask the sales guy to have the tech pull the valve cover and look before the deal is done. I've been told they now use re-usable rubber gaskets on the valve covers (the old paper ones were a misery to deal with because they were installed w/ sealant and were destroyed when removed, then you got to enjoy scraping the gasket bits and sealant off the mating surfaces....yay), so it really should be a 5 min task to pop it off, verify what it has, then pop it back on. Easy peasy.

Either way, an early "congrats!" on the impending purchase. I've been going through bikes at the rate of about one every 18-24 months, looking for the one that really seems to fit me and what I'm looking for, and pushing 1 year into my Stelvio ownership I don't find myself lusting after something else. Of course this fall when the '14 KTM 1190 comes to the States I may get a wandering eye again, but for now the Stelvio is a keeper.

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote