View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 06:26 PM   #69
TucsonStan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
America.....by Helix

I enter Mississippi at Natchez. I know that there is a bunch of stuff that I'd love to see in Mississippi but this traveling by scooter is slower than I'd planned on. In my head, my travel reference was traveling by pickup...on the interstate. Now, I was traveling mainly by back roads, figuring that the other end of the trip would be on all interstates.

A few miles after leaving Natchez, I come across this sign.....

This sign means absolutely nothing to anyone but me. On the internet, I go by TucsonStan but my real first name is Stanton. A few years ago, I came up with the idea of trying to see every town or county in the U.S. that are named Stanton. I've been to Stanton, Delaware....Stanton, California....Stanton, Texas, where I got my picture taken with the city manager. I've also been to Stanton County, Kansas.

When I saw the sign, I just had to go there, even though it was a bit out of the way.

I first saw this sign. Wow, I must be close. I rode on till I passed a sign just like this one about a mile up the road. If you look closely at the picture, you can see a white car at the top of the hill. That's where the Stanton Baptist Church was located. There were cars out front so I thought that I could stop there to ask directions. Then I noticed the big black Cadillac hearse in front of the door. I rode on by, I didn't think that they'd be in the mood to give me directions to main street Stanton.

After riding several side streets, this was all I found.....

I think I was looking at what used to be the best part of Stanton, Texas.

After visiting beautiful downtown Stanton, I head back west to pick up, I think, Hwy 49 and head back to the east. My thought was to ride straight across Mississippi on Hwy 49 but realized that I'd ride into Alabama way above where I wanted to be. At Hattiesburg, I pick up Hwy 98 and head in the direction of Mobile, Alabama.

In Mobile, I discovery what may turn out to be a problem......
TucsonStan is offline   Reply With Quote