View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #6
KTMayhem OP
Headhunter

Oddometer: 7
Natchez,Mississippi to Presidio,Texas. The short version.

Okay, so I know I've been slacking on this ride report buta I am going to bring T
it up to speed now.

We got up and made our way to Natchez on the east bank of the Mississippi River. We parked the bike and walked around checking out some Antebellum houses. Meaning pre civil war. Apparently there are over 500 structures that have been saved throughout the years. These are pictures of what we saw and also just a hodgepodge of things in and around Natchez. One thing to note, the picture after the wild boar head is an early 50's original model pogo stick before they put handles at the top.

After Natchez we rode to Austin Tx and spent the night just west of the city. We got up and rode to my favorite place in Texas. Luckenbach. I've ridden out to Texas five times and gone to Luckenbach every time. There's just something about the place. We hung around and shot the place up (with cameras) then left for a warm, sunny ride through the hill country as we made our way to Del Rio on the Rio Grande. Although there is a border crossing here we are not crossing until we ride through Big Bend NP. Just west of there is a border crossing at Presidio/Ojinaga where we plan to enter Mexico. Blue bonnets are the state flower-last picture

We left Del Rio and rode west into the town of Langtry, TX. which is famous for Judge Roy Bean. The Law West of the Pecos. According to the exhibit in the visitors center. There was no jail so every crime was a a finable offense. He even confiscated a Colt revolver from a dead man and fined him the $42 in his pocket for carrying a concealed weapon. They had a beautiful cactus garden on the grounds next to his Courthouse/Saloon/Billiard Hall. I started taking pictures of each sign and plant and before I knew it the must have been fifty varieties of cactus growing. Don't worry I won't bore you with too many. We then bought our pass for Big Bend NP and passed through the park to a dry,dusty town called Terlingua,TX. We got up and toured the park and hiked into Santa Elana Canyon. *Cut by the Rio Grande the canyon walls are 1500 feet high. The water level is really low and there were spots you could easily walk across into Mexico the only problem is getting fined or prison for illegally entering either country. We are going to Mexico so no need to take a chance.

KTMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote