View Single Post
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 PM   #61
Brtp4 OP
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,958
Version 2.0

XR280R v2.0

After riding the modded little XR quite a bit, I swapped back to the stock carb. I was struggling with breaking cables and could not dial in the jetting. Fuel mileage also sucked. With the stock carb it had much less power, but worked well and I really liked it. However, I was started to get tired of the old-tech suspension. I finally bent up my front wheel pretty good while in some rocks:

Since I now needed a new front wheel, I decided to take the opportunity to upgrade the suspension. I had a set of 2006 CRF250X forks, and gathered the parts for a swap. Stock, early CRF triples have a 24mm offset. Stock XRs are 18mm. I got a set of 20mm clamps from Scotts performance, which are made by Billet Racing Products:

CRF forks need to be shortened to get as close to proper geometry as possible. One of the best CRF suspension shops is Precision Concepts in Riverside, CA. Precision Concepts is owned by Bob Bell, who has a long history with Honda's factory Baja team, and has assisted with suspension development for Honda. Additionally, at some point in the past he actually sponsored a team of XR250R's for the Baja 1000. PC shortened and revalved the forks, with a net increase in static height of 1".

To balance the suspension and the height, PC revalved the rear shock, and took out a shim that added 4mm of length to the shock. The shock leverage ratio starts at 4.0:1 which means the ride height is now 16mm higher. 1" = 25mm, so I made up the difference with a taller rear tire.

The fork swap is easy, it's chasing down the details that is the hard part. I had to get a new headlight, handlebar switch, lever / comp release combination, new fender, few other things:

And the final result:

BP

Atomic Moto.com
Bend, OR

Brtp4 screwed with this post 10-04-2014 at 06:02 AM
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote