View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #72
TucsonStan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
America.....by Helix

In Mobile,I call it a day and start looking for a place to stay. I wind up at a Super 8, thinking that the wifi will be good there. I'm only around the corner from the office but the wifi drops out every 15 minutes. If I had started a ride report and had it dropped like that, after all the trouble that I've had writing ride reports, I would have taken that room apart like a drunken rock star. I'll try again in the morning.

I'm a very early riser so I try again, at 5:30am, to get a ride report written and uploaded. The wifi is just the same. Ok, skip the ride report. I load up the Helix as I wait for my free motel breakfast. As I take the first load of gear out to the scooter, I discover this......

This is the first drop of oil I've ever seen under this scooter, even after an oil change. You can also see that the CVT/belt cover is covered in oil. I hope that it might have something to do with the fact that Greathouse Motorsports back in Bryan, Texas had over filled it.

After very lite breakfast, I'm back out on Hwy 98 riding through Mobile.

How could I resist taking this picture!

Having ridden through quite a few good sized cities, I'm amazed at how little traffic there is at 9:30 in the morning on a weekday in Mobile.

I had checked MapQuest the night before, just to check today's route. On the map that I had, it looked like I'd have to get on I-10 to get across Mobile Bay or some other such body of water. Turns out Hwy 98 crosses Mobile Bay. I'm guessing a bridge. Turns out that as I ride through downtown Mobile that Hwy 98 goes under the bay. At first, I ride around the tunnel entrance, looking for the bridge. In another block, the road pretty much ends. Oops, I guess the tunnel is my only option so I turn around and head back. There is so little traffic in downtown Mobile that I just make a U turn rather than ride around the block.

After the tunnel, Hwy 98 makes a sweeping turn to the right, heading south. Just ahead on the right, I pass the U.S.S Alabama. I've toured several of the big ships. Just last summer, I toured the aircraft carrier, U.S.S. Lexington, in Corpus Christi, Texas. That tour had taken several hours and I didn't have that kind of time so I just took some pictures. I remember someone saying....."if there are no pictures, it didn't happen!"

My destination this morning is Daphne, Alabama. I'm a big fan of the Food Channel show, Diners, Drive-ins & Dives. Sometimes I miss a show, as I did the show about today's lunch stop. When that happens, I go to Flavortownusa.com. I think that's how I found today's lunch stop, Manci's Antique Club.

I took a picture of the outside but can't find it now. Manci's is an old filling station that has gradually evolved into a rather eclectic eating establishment. I did manage to get some pictures of the inside.....

Supposedly, they have the largest collection of Jim Beam Bottles that are on display. I think I read that there are over 100 bottles on display. You can see some of them in the pictures.

I did remember to take a picture of lunch, although I see that it's a bit on the blurry side.

I had a fried shrimp Po'Boy for lunch, mainly because it was one of the things that Guy had had on the show. I must say, it was very good. If you're ever in the area, I think you should make Manci's Antique Club one of your stops.

Also in Daphne, and worth seeing, is the U.S Sports Academy. I thought they actually taught you how to play the sports but they teach the other stuff, like coaching and counseling. They also have a great sports art gallery that's open to the public

From Daphne, it's back onto Hwy 98 for the ride to, and through Pensacola, Fl. Pensacola is home to the T.T Wentworth Museum, a rather odd collection of stuff. The T.T Wentworth Museum is located in the Pensacola Historical Society Museum. It seems that Mr. Wentworth was a preserver of historical stuff, mainly from the Penascola. There were three items that I particularly wanted to see.

A petrified cat....

The cat apparently got into some space in a house that was being built in 1850. Over 100 years later, when the house was being torn down, they found the cat. T.T. Wentworth saved it.

Robert Ladlow's left shoe....

It's a bit hard to see but there's a photo of Robert Ladlow, at 8' 8 1/2", standing next to his father.

And what's left of a piece of Thomas Edison's 85th birthday cake...

Now why anyone would want to save a piece of Thomas Edision's 85th birthday cake, who wasn't part of Edisions family, is beyond me but here it is, on display for all to see.

From Penascola, it's on to Carrabelle, Florida for one of my favorite things to visit.....a Bottle House!
TucsonStan is offline   Reply With Quote