View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #10450
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6BWS View Post
Thats some nasty shit right there!!! Out here around the owens valley we have some of the same shit although not nearly in stretches that long. Always fun trying to guess at the color differences and figure out where the ruts are underneath the powder soup. Only way ive found is to aim for the slightly lighter patches, those are usually the harder spots.
Bull dust, also know as "fesh-fesh" in Africa/ Dakar rally

That's the biggest "bull dust" patch we came across.
To be fair we only saw bull dust a couple of other places, but judging by the stories we heard we should've played the lottery cause our luck must have out of this world....
This stretch was about 200 metres/ yards long. Yngve came around the bend and rode into the bull dust after about 20 metres at about 60km/h. He then hit a hidden rock, got a puncture on the front and continued over the bars.

Today, 8 years later, Yngve still has red dust in hard to reach places...

I was probably a minute behind him and, needless to say perhaps, I was laughing so hard I could hardly ride in a straight line.

So while Yngve was fixing his flat tire

I was trying to slow down the traffic.

There was a surprising amount of cars and trucks on the Gibb River Road that day and we got positivly bombed by dust even when they slowed down

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote