In between other projects, I've been carving out an hour here and there to work on the SL350. Rather than honing in on just getting it running, I've also been trying to determine what parts I have that will work and what still needs ordered. Part of that process is to "mock up" the bike with various parts and see what does or doesn't work.
The MT250 fuel tank turned out to be a bust, the cylinder head rides higher than I thought and interferes with the tank bottom.
First alternative was a plastic tank that Paul (OC) had, looked pretty good and was lighter than stock, but the rear of the tank presented a big fat wall for the family jewels to hit, not great when you are trying to motocross.
Then I went down to the other barn and pulled the tank and seat off my daughters SL100 and tried them, but no, same problem as the MT250 tank, looked great but would not ride down over the head. Tried a few more tanks and realized I was just going to have to go with the stock tank;
At this point I also had one head pipe inserted as was also trying to determine if the vintage Brit front fender would clear the exhaust, it does.
Once we knew for sure it was going to be the stock tank, I called Randy and he said he'd stop by and pick up the tank and side panels for painting in Honda red.
Time to mount the VM30 carbs;
The manifolds supplied by Boretech have a smaller bolt pattern, so after trying to file the holes out I ended up just slotting the manifolds;
Manifold on head, carefully aligned so gasket and manifold are centered over port;
Checking side panel fit, just right!
Now time for exahust. Picked up the CNC head pipe retainers off of ebay, made in Portland by Ken. Nice look and much lighter than stock;
Installed drive chain, but before adding side cover, a little wiring repair;
Countershaft side cover, stock other than a previous bobbing;
Cover after thoroughly cleaning and adding obligatory "lightening" holes, with a stock cover for comparison;
Every part going back on is first cleaned, shined, lubed, drilled, painted or anything else that can be done to make it lighter, function better or even just look better.
Next is wiring and a temporay fuel tank to get it fired up and start breaking it in, I did pick up the oil and additives as recommended by Lameco. Hopefully the next report will be about how good it sounds!