View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #79
johnsonal OP
avenger of all evil

Oddometer: 104
Days ninety five and ninety six, 4-19 and 4-20-13

so we stayed in Huanchaco for two nights where I gorged myself on some of the best and cheapest ceveche I have ever eaten.

the next morning I slept in for once and then walked around town a bit. not much going on here but alot of surfing it seems. did a bunch of internet stuff and relaxed most of the day. then went back for more ceveche.

the next morning we woke up early to head east, over the Andies to a town called Caraz. Porkandcorn advised us that a road we wanted to take was closed so we took another route he suggested. That is after heading south down the boring old Pan Am for 100 miles.

it was a beautiful ride after that. another 100 miles of one lane road winding up to 14000 feet along steep cliffs and amazing scenery. at one point we rode for almost an hour on switchbacks and only moved about a mile closer (as the bird flies) toward our destination. at one point it got very cold and I had to stop and put my winter gloves on. I began to worry a little when the fog got so heavy I could no longer ride with my face shield closed and felt my face freezing in the "where the fuck am I" position. and then the warmth hit me as I crested the peak and began to descend down the eastern slope. once again on switchbacks down 8000 feet into Caraz. There we stopped at a few places to check prices and wound up in a hostel right by the main plaza. the people here were very friendly. we went out for chicken and rice and hit the hay.

johnsonal is offline   Reply With Quote