View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 10:05 PM   #40
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
The DR650 is a proven overlander.

Your route looks mostly do-able... though I´ve never heard anybody shipping vehicles out of Vietnam (except those who have worked there maybe). And shipping to somewhere in Central Asia from North India, that could be a tall order. Probably will be less headache, and in the end cheaper, too, to ride to Pakistan, head north, and arrange the guide to get into China, and then cross to Kyrgyzstan overland.

The other option to go overland between India and Europe is to head west across Pakistan, and cross into Iran. That one does not necessitate you to get your vehicle into China, but visa issues, and security situation in western Pakistan could be the stumbling blocks (at least right now, but if you set off in -15, then it could be very different).

290 kms ON AVERAGE is tough in my view. Especially in Asia. And shippings, bordercrossings, applying for visas etc., tend to take some time no matter how smoothly everything goes. It may be do-able in Oz or Europe, but will be pushing it in most parts of Asia. Besides, there´s a million things to see & do along the way, not a good idea to be in a hurry (and to do 290/day every day start to finish, you WILL be in a hurry).
Surely someone has shipped a bike out Ha Noi to Kathmandu? If it proves to be impossible I might decide to reroute the Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam area some how to end up in Bangkok to fly to Kathmandu (as rtwpaul suggested). Maybe make a circle of the area.

I hear you about the daily averages. I'd like to see as much as possible, but I don't want to just rush through everything. I want to see the people and explore and absorb the cultures. Not just cruse through as fast as possible. I'll be learning more as I ride more and gain experience. Perhaps I'll change the route again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigalsmith101 View Post
Like Pecha72 has said above me, in my travel experience I have earmarked budgets per time spent in local regions. I.E. Alaska/Canada is more expensive then the mainland US, which is more expensive than Mexico, which is is more expensive then Central America, so on and so forth. More time spent in expensive places = higher daily budget and vice versa.
I actually am not sure how much time I plan on spending in Europe. I assume because of road quality as well as a general sense of hustle from the locals (at least compared to some other countries), things will generally work decently and pretty much on schedule. Not everywhere obviously, but in general Europe is more cognizant of time than say India. That said, I assume it'll be easier to get daily activities done and travel faster.

Quote:
Dig deep and get into the research as much as possible. Obviously you are well over a year away from your stated departure date (which you moved back a bit already?) and thus have time to read and read and read. Temps in February in Melbourne are generaly higher than 75F. Thats the end of summer here in Australia. But that's irrelevant.
You're correct. I have moved it back. I'd be riding right into the European winter by leaving in June/July 2014 and also probably not have enough experience and money saved. As long as the temps aren't freezing I'll probably be ok. I used to live in Arizona and Nicaragua and it gets hot both places to say the least.

Quote:
Camp your ass off, and you'll keep your costs low. Buy your food at grocery stores and markets, and never pay for a cooked meal, and you'll keep your costs low. Sleep in new friends homes, on floors, couches, etc, and you'll keep your costs down. Things you can't change are A) the price of fuel, B) The cost of food C) Weather.
I absolutely plan on camping, camping, camping. And eating cheaply. Except for splurging on good local cuisine occasionally. But none or limited fast-food type meals.

Quote:
Your bike will get around 55-60mpg (don't be optomistic about fuel consumption, plan for the worst man, it will save you time and money). You'll be loaded with gear even though you'll travel lightly. If you do 290kms (call it 300km or 180miles) a day, you're burning 3 gallons of gas at 60mpg. $16/day in Australia. $30/day in Turkey. Trying to feed yourself and cover misc. things on $24/day in Australia will be tough as nails. Nigh impossible on $10/day in Turkey. IF you can find a free place to sleep.... maybel you'll be inside your budget...
Those are good calculations to have in my head... breaking it down like that. As you camp... $24 a day in Oz is definitely doable. A couple of years ago I went to Japan and spent $600 in 14 days including ~$20/night on hostels... so $22/day for food, misc, touristy stuff, etc. And Japan is expensive. I'm pretty confident I can eat cheaply, but I don't want to kid myself on expenses and be caught off guard. More research yet!

Quote:
Shipping your bike to Australia will cost you more than you expect. Shipping from the west coast of the US to Sydney/Melbourne/Adelaide/Perth (doesn't really matter) will cost you roughly $600-$1000 JUST TO LEAVE THE US. Wharf fees, Customs fees, AQIS (Australian Quarintine) Fees, Cleaning fees will cost you another $1000+- on the Australian side. You can do it cheaper, but time is your enemy, you might have to wait a few months for the right shipment to leave the states that can add your bike for cheap, and save you money. How do I know? I manage an Australian based import company that imports US boats/campers/motorcycles, etc. So, roughly $1500 to get your bike to Australia. $1200 for a one way ticket from the east coast. You're at $2500 already. I don't know what the rest of your flights will cost ($400-$500?) or the ferries. You'll have to figure that out.
That's actually exactly what I budget to get to Australia as well. $2500. I could save I'm sure if I got lucky on prices, but I'm not counting on that.

Quote:
Do your research on the Carnet, it'll easily cost you a thousand dollars ($1,000). You've got a cheap bike, which will lower the deposit required, but it's still not cheap.
I just tried tonight and didn't find too much about it. AAA referred to the Canadian site and I don't think a Canadian Carnet is what I need. I'm from the US. I could be wrong. More research again needed. Thoughts here? Can I use a carnet from Canadian authorities? I feel like this should be procured by officials from one's own country.

Quote:
Your border fees estimate is probably pretty close. Australia won't cost you any money, but I'm not sure about the rest. You won't be paying much in Europe, but the "Stans", Russia, Georgia, Turkey, will stick you for some bucks to be certain. Your map shows you entering Pakistan? Did you find an easy way to get a Pakistani visa? If so, tell me, I want to know (for real, I want to know).
Sadly, I'm not planning on entering Pakistan. I was planning on flying from Leh, India (in Jammu and Kashmir) to Dushanbe, Tajikistan, but upon closer inspection there are no flights from Leh to Dushanbe. At least not currently. This puts a crimp in things until a solution is found. More research needed. I really want to see Jammu and Kashmir, but I don't want to ride up there and then have to ride back to New Delhi for a flight. Thoughts?

Quote:
Where are we now? Oh. $17,900.

It seems like you've landed pretty well on the mark. You might even come out under this proposed budget if you save on shipping costs/flights. However, this does not lead ANY room in the budget for incidentals or tourist activities, or alcohol, or meals out with friends. This doesn't cover any new clothing on the trip. Replacement costs for any items lost or stolen. What if your camera breaks dude. You will definitely want a new one. You haven't taken into consideration your motorcycle gear either. Boots, Pants, Jacket, Gloves Helmet. ATGATT. All the gear all the time. Is that in your budget, or is that a pre trip expense not to be considered for these purposes? Your new to you DR350 will make the trip without a hassle. Buy a 4gallon Clarke tank, hand guards, a new seat, and some throw over soft luggage, and you'll be fine.
All of the bike upgrades will be done prior to leaving and aren't being added to the actual traveling budget. Nor is gear. But things will break so I need to add some $$'s to that area. Broken camera? Empty wallet. lol

Quote:
I rode 8 months, from Seattle to Argentina. My average was 100mile a day WHEN I was riding. 160km/day. Your average of 290km/day is going to kick your ass and take your name (unless your ruthless, in which case it won't matter at all). Remember, you can sit in India somewhere for a week and spend less than $70 and ride nowhere at all. That same week in Australia will cost you $500+ Are you on a strict timeframe? If not, why not travel until the money runs out instead? I'd be looking at 7 months time.
I plan on being ruthless for Australia and most of Europe. Long days - like 8 hours of riding. I'll have a Corbin seat. And be ruthless. I'm not on a strict timeframe, but 5 months will be a big test. I have a real estate business that runs itself pretty well. Just went to South Africa for 5 weeks with basically zero problems back home. No motorcycle in SA though. But by then, it should be bigger and managed by other people making it theoretically easier to be gone for longer periods.

Alex. Your post was so awesome. I'm shocked honestly. Thanks man!

Seriously, I will ride on Mars
1997 DR350 SE
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote