View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
EJSCC2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Thumb 3/4 length - HiVis - Alpinestars Cape Town

I bought an Alpinestars Cape Town jacket in HiVis in January. Love it. The HiVis is where it should be - top of the arms and shoulders. Mesh 3/4 length jacket with internal waterproof liner and additional insulated liner (full sleeves). Purchased for $200 at local BMW dealer in Birmingham, AL - great purchase and highly recommended. (No connection, planned on doing a full review but have not gotten around to it).

Had planned on purchasing the Olympia Transitions jacket, but liked the placement of the hi vis materials better on this once I tried it on. I prefer to purchase locally when I can, and was offered a price that made it the ONLY way to go.

6'2", 240 lbs, 36-38" waist, 32" length pants, (fairly long waisted) > purchased a 2XL jacket.

I ride a Vstar 1100 with a barn door for a windscreen, but get wide range of usability out of it... In January, I made several 140mile runs in 38 degree starting temps with jacket and both liners over a chamois long sleeve shirt with a long sleeve tshirt underneath. I could have layered more, but didn't need to - was a brisk day ride to sign up a client and turn around and head back home. Last week I did another run toward GA leaving in 85 degrees, and the jacket was fine. Toward the end of the day I did realize that I had not been drinking enough water but was never uncomfortable and did not resort to wetting down underneath etc. With a mesh jacket you have to be aware that when temps get over 93 degrees or so you are typically better off changing to another type of jacket because the hot air does less to cool you but you are still sweating a ton, but don't realize it because it's being evaporated quickly by the wind.

I have found this to be a very reasonably priced jacket for the southeast US weather and my riding styles. Around here, it is certainly a fall/winter/spring jacket, and can be used for shorter runs in the summer, but probably not the best choice for longer trips when temps get mid 90's plus.

Reviewed on WebBikeWorld.com
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/alpin...e-town-jacket/

Reviewed on Revzilla
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/a...own-air-jacket

(That was the first time in 25 years of selling software and computer consulting services that I ever used an emoticon. I feel dirty...)

EJSCC2 screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 01:42 PM
EJSCC2 is offline   Reply With Quote