View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #43
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecha72 View Post
"Surely someone has shipped a bike out Ha Noi to Kathmandu?"

Vietnam used to be almost closed for foreign vehicles, the ability to cross at one particular border station is just months old, and I'm hoping its not just some mistake, that they will correct once they find it out.

So I doubt there are many shipments out of Hanoi. I'm sure it COULD be arranged, but price could be a issue, and Bangkok-Kathmandu is about 700-1000 usd for a bike, so could make more sense to go to Bangkok. In fact your shipment could well get routed via BKK anyway. Particularly airfreight moves most cost-efficiently, when you use the big hubs, and places accessible by direct flights from these hubs.
I think this route through Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and back into Thailand will work (assuming multi-entry visas work). Basically just going the opposite direction I had proposed. Not an issue. I didn't have any reason to go the way I had originally planned. This route is about 5600km, which is maybe a little longer than the other way, but not by much. This alleviates the no shipping out of Vietnam issue, but still allows me to travel through much of the area. If I read up a bunch on Vietnam, maybe I'll jump across the border for a bit without my bike. It's all possible.

Also I've been rethinking the India to Tajikistan route, which is about 9600km. Fly into Nepal, ride around India, then go up into Jammu and Kashmir on the eastern side of the area then come down the western side, going through Jammu, Srinagar, Kargil and Leh all the way to New Delhi were I can catch a flight to Dushanbe, Tajikistan.

97 DR350SE

I.Will.Ride.On.Mars screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 06:11 PM
I.Will.Ride.On.Mars is offline   Reply With Quote