View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
1200gsceej OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,249
I think I'll go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
The most direct route is Jolon Road, which is the way I went to get to the National Forest this past fall.
The road is really twisty. I made my wife carsick in a Geo Metro, and she doesn't get carsick ever. There are probably some potholes, as it is secluded area. There also might be gravel in the road from long vehicles clipping the dirt in sharp corners. You may even see some wild pigs and deer.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superhobie View Post
Much more scenic and virtually no traffic the whole way and even a little easy graded dirt on Cypress Mountain Dr.
Thanks for the map. Since I'm actually in Morro Bay, maybe I'll do this. I've had good, and bad, experiences on "easy graded dirt". How long? and flat, or up the side of the mountain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot View Post
You could also go a bit more out of the way and take in 229, which is a fantastic little stretch of road coming out of SLO and ending up in atascadero.
Gas up before heading over as once back on the coast after nac/fer there is no gas until Big Sur and that place is steep for gas $$. If you can make it to Carmel you have cheaper refueling options.
the entrance if I recall is on mission rd off of jolon rd. It is hard to miss.
No need to tell ya to keep it at/under the limit while in the base
The road can have lots of gravel in the corners as it is not that well used, but coming east to west you do get some awesome views.
You can also take the old coast road loop on the way up if you want some dirt.
Someone has mentioned 229 to me before - maybe my buddy's brother-in-law who lives near there.
Thanks for reminding me that once I get to the PCH I still need to get to Big Sur or Carmel Valley for gas.
Watching out for gravel seems to be the big thing, as well as other vehicles on blind turns.

I appreciate all your help guys.
-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 04-23-2013 at 09:57 PM
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote