View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #171
Aarrff OP
Gravel Grinder

Oddometer: 1,626
Sunday 4-21-13

My plan today was to reach Fort Stockton. From there, I can go on Monday down into Big Bend and spend a lot of the day exploring. It will be a long day, late riding will be hazardous because of deer. I headed directly west of San Marcos on Wonder World Road....maybe I should keep this route a secret...turned out to be, as I thought it might be, some really sucky stuff!

Not so much for a while

Just tossing up some clues if you want to try this

Still a fine straight road at this point

More clue

Hmmm...could it be?

33 miles of this stuff until you find Comfort!!

Oh man.....This SUCKS!!!

And the speed limit is more than I can do These big sweepers are Aweful!!

Rise and fall and sweep...

Whew!!! Almost into Comfort...can't stand too much of that..

Passing under I-10 at Comfort

Ok, jumping on the big slab as I still have over 200 miles to Fort Stockton and I need to rest up for the big day tomorrow

A few shots of the terrain and such on the way but did not take too many shots of an interstate...cross winds are wild in these cuts and will slow you or shove you or put you off the side if you are not alert...speed limit is 80! Of course I stayed within that....

Saw about a dozen dead deer along this interstate! I would not dare ride this late or in the dark!

Lots of wind power out here east of Fort Stockton

The Deluxe Inn in Fort Stockton....I hate to say much but this looks like a dive on street view. These folks are remodeling and it was a real steal for what I paid. Very nice people, good mex food across the street, Ihop at the interstate, lots of fuel close by and small grocery stores. Good stop if you are exploring but it is a long ride still to the Park of over 100 miles.

Just so you'll know

About 1/3 the cost of brand names

No free breakfast but most of those are just sugar and junk anyway.

336 miles today

Ok that's all I have time for and my internet connection is very slow anyway. Next chance I get to post up more will be the ride into Big Bend and some highlights from there...here is a couple teasers for you..

R1200GSA, R 80 RT ( adv project )
Honda XR 70 R
Aarrff is offline   Reply With Quote