View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 11:08 PM   #209
AK Smitty OP
Self life coach

Oddometer: 318
So close to wrapping up this RR

Sorry for the delays, life has been moving fast and already my ride seems partly like a dream.

It was a long and boring day of mostly I-95 from San Augustine to Chesapeake. I made it to my sisters house a little after 9 PM. I had more stops than I would have liked but they were all necessary. More for coffee because I was about to fall asleep and that never ends well. Also lots of gas stops because I was speeding a lot and my mileage was really bad. And of course at most stops people wanted to know what the hell I was doing, so I gave them a quick version of my ride. It was nice to be able to tell my story in English.

My sister did not know I was coming so it was nice to surprise her and the kids. I had a great few days with them and wished it could have been longer but that was not in the cards. I had to get back to Alaska and find a place to live, make things right with my boss for not being back to work on time and show up for jury duty. The real world was coming back at me fast!

Here is a pick of my boots after about 20,000 miles. I hope I can get these things re-soled! Hearing the boots drag always gets my blood flowing a little more and I sure do love that feeling! Guess I need to work on getting a little more aggressive cornering to the right!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Because I was late getting back to Ak I did not make it to work when I was suppose to. I work remotely for 2 weeks than have 2 weeks off. I went into the main office to make sure all was good between el hefe and I. I had kept him posted during the trip. All was good on the work front. So once I got dismissed from jury duty I basically had 2 weeks off!!

It was not the best winter in AK but the week I got home the snow started piling up!! So why sit around the house dreaming of amazing South American roads when I can pass time doing this!

That dot is me

and this

Ended up getting some great days at the resort and then a few in the backcountry. All the skiing pics are from one day in the back country. Me and one other buddy had the place all to ourselves! Pretty sweet transition from SA to AK and a way to ease into work after 4 months off.

It was great to be home and enjoy Alaska as well as see some friends before hitting the real world again. I had heard talk of the adjustment being difficult for some after long rides. I had not even thought about it and to be honest I never expected it to be so weird. More to come on that...

I am here: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php...f53b74b2cb510d
AK Smitty is offline   Reply With Quote