View Single Post
Old 04-24-2013, 04:07 PM   #2131
wingnut11
generally strange

Oddometer: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Put yourself in his shoes...You have a yr old kid, fanily life is becoming more important and your job is high stakes and high risk. What are your chances of winning again, this time on another bike? Would you risk it? What happens if you don't win the next Dakar (for whatever reason...) - will you be written off?
Okay I kept thinking about this last night. So let's take a little ride over to imagination land and put ourselves in his shoes. As long as we are going there we can use the way back machine to go check in on young Cyril.

Here I am young Cyril working as motorcycle mechanic, living the life of a pretty ordinary guy. I figure I'm probably just going to find nice girl to settle down with and live the life of an ordinary working stiff. But I have a bit of a competitive streak, so I race in my free time. Well it turns out that I've got a natural talent for it, and given a lot of hard work I can make a good living doing something I love.

We are going to fast forward a little bit here.

Now here I am middle aged Cyril I've made a good living off this rider gig, found the girl of my dreams, married her, bought a nice house, and with proper financial management my wife and I are pretty much set. Now a couple years later we have started our family, and I've got a chance to sign what in pro sports is called a retirement contract. The last big cash out and chance to cement my legacy as the all time greatest rally rider (then move on to cars). I know if I sign this deal, win a couple more Dakars I'll be able to provide for my kid(s) for longer than I'll be around. All I have to do (not make dakar sound easy) is win a race I've won five times before.

Okay that's my little story so let's get out of imagination land and think about this and let it all settle in. Think about it what parent doesn't dream of even having the chance to be able do that kind of thing for their kid(s). That's the story I see here, a man doing everything he can to try and make sure his family wants for nothing.