View Single Post
Old 04-26-2013, 10:04 PM   #1
kingbee OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
The U.P.? Don't bother.

Forget what you've read and seen in Cannonshot's ride reports, or anyone else's for that matter- there's no good riding in the U.P. or northern Wisconsin. Don't bother. Nothing to see here folks. Move along.
I enjoy reading those ongoing ride threads other inmates submit, so I decided to try one of my own. To prove that the U.P. sucks. And to give me something to look back on next winter. That is, if this winter ever ends.
Today's ride wasn't technically my first ride of the year- I did 40 miles or so the first friday in April, to try out my new T-63s. But then we got 3 weeks of nothing but snow and more snow, so that ride feels more like it was last season. That's why I'm calling today's ride the "first ride" of the year.
Decided to make a loop down through Winchester & Mercer- I know, not the U.P., sue me. We still have a ton of snow on the ground but the paved roads are clear & dry. I was hoping the gravel roads would be rideable- some were, others not so much.

It was pushing 60 today so the Black river is starting to flow- this is where it goes through Ramsay; the Keystone Bridge is just visible upper left.

Went south out of Wakefield into Wisconsin, took Old County O towards Winchester. Old O is gravel here, was mostly clear with a few patches of snow:

Waterfowl are having a tough time finding open water. Geese on No Man's Creek:

Which flows through Some Man's Land:

Lots of ice still on the lakes. Be a while before they open up. If you're gonna fish the walleye opener, bring an auger!

A bit of snow...

This great huge chimney was once at the end of a great huge lodge on what was once Whispering Pines Girl's Camp. It's so big a person can stand upright in the fireplace. The land has all been subdivided and homes built on it. So now there's a driveway where the girls once sang "Wataliacha".

Good thing I was riding a Thumper.

Cramer Lake Road started out okay, but the further I rode the deeper the snow got, until I was looking at this:

And the bike was doing this:

So, turn around and back to County H. Plenty of open water on the Turtle River, so lots of ducks, geese, and swans. H is a nice road to ride also.

After that it was a nice ride to 51, then north to home. About a 90 mile loop, a great way to start the season. Tomorrow the queen wants to take a ride with me. O frabjous day! I just installed oversize footpegs and a Seat Concepts pad & cover on her XT- I told her it will feel like riding in a Cadillac car. I don't think she's ever actually been in a Caddy so I think I can make the story stick. The waterfalls on the Black River should be cranking so mayhap we'll go have a looksee at 'em.

Hope you enjoy the pictures. More to come.

Cheers,
Dave
kingbee is offline   Reply With Quote