View Single Post
Old 04-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #185
Rider 101
Wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 644
gs suspension

Itchy,
I have had my 800gs for 2 years now. I racked up the 5000ks yesterday. I did a loop out to Coolah Tops and returned via Blackville and Willow Tree - Merriwa road. The road varied from tar to roughish NPWS tracks. I think my max speed on gravel was 110k's. I didn't push the bike above 80k's on the forest road and slowed to 30 or 40 in the rocky sections. I was carrying 4 litres of fuel, full Motohansa tool roll, tyre pump and a backpack with food, drink emergency kit. I am no lightweight ( 100kg ). So add that up and I guess I am adding 120kg's to the bike. I feel the suspension coped with my style of riding. I am 51 and need to go to work on Monday in one piece.

I suppose what I am getting at is that the 800gs performs as it was designed. After reading a lot of these threads I came to the conclusion that any shortfalls in the suspension, wheels etc are highlighted by younger fitter or better riders than me.

I will be looking at changing fork and shock springs to cope with a little extra weight but I very much doubt I will be pushing ( or able to push ) the bike beyond its capabilities in standard trim.

I hope this helps you enjoy your bike for what it is and don't get caught up in spending bulk dollars on something that may exceed you capabilities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy&scratchy View Post
So after all these pages, I'm getting that my F800 forks cannot be modified, instead I have to change over to completely different brand of fork, wheel and so on?
Rider 101 is offline   Reply With Quote